redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

The Stone Prince - Gena Showalter Gena Showalter's The Stone Prince is the first of her Imeperia novels. Our hero is Jorlan, an alien warrior, trapped by his brother in a statue and sent to Earth. He is cursed to remain in stone until released by a woman's kiss. But even then, his reprieve will last only a couple of weeks, unless the woman falls in love with him.

Katie James is a strong woman, raised in a home surrounded by strapping brothers (one of whom becomes the hero in Showalter's Jewel of Atlantis.) She restores homes for a living... and comes across Jorlan's statue while working on her latest project. She is drawn to him and sets him free with her kiss.

It was not love at first sight. Jorlan is hot, but he's cocky and domineering. It's fun, though, to watch Katie put him in place. With her, he begrudgingly learns what love means... and they do fall for each other.

In the meantime, Jorlan's brother maintains his quest for revenge. His motives are pretty weak --it's mostly a mommy complex. Everything is wrapped up in a happy ending, even for our villain. It's a light read, but fun. Nothing like Showalter's Lords of the Underworld or Alien Huntress books. 3 1/2 stars.