redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Reblogged from Red Hot Books:
Demon Moon - Meljean Brook

What a difference one book can make! In the first installment of this series, I was confused; I was uninvested; and I was ready to give up on a series heavily recommended to me by readers I trust.  But  Demon Angel and Demon Moon are like apples and oranges.  Sure, they are closely tied with overlapping characters and world building, but this story is worlds better.  I cared about the characters and their struggling relationship.  I felt connected to the story. And not only did I understand what was happening, I was eager to turn the page to see what would happen next.

We met both our main characters in the last book.  Savitri is the human “little sister” to the former Guardian Hugh.  She is human… or at least she was as the story began.  But a series of events begins to change that.  A run in with some Hellhound venom and Nosferatu blood begin making her something more.  (I’ll get back to that in a minute.)

Colin is the vampire friend of Lillith who is crazy-beautiful and unable to look in a mirror.  That’s because one glance instantly forces him to look into the hellish Chaos realm.  As the story begins, he and Savi already have a shared history.  They apparently spent some quality time together in heaven and now they are fighting their lingering attraction to one another.  We aren’t privy to all of their backstory. It is revealed over the course of the book.  But it’s clear they got up close and personal –and despite a mountain of issues, each one of them desperately wants a do-over.

Colin goes in for the full court press. Savi tries to resist, but you can’t really blame her.  Vampires don’t just drink from their donors.  They take sex with their blood and one human can never fulfill all of their needs.  I don’t need to draw you a map to connect the dots on that one.  How can she give into her feelings when she knows that he is physically unable to be faithful?  Complicating matters further, she can never become a vampire because of her new blood taint.  And even if she could, she wouldn’t be able to feed from Colin because of a special problem with his blood.  It seems impossible.

Yet they try.  And it’s really quite heartbreaking. You can feel how much these two fall in love with each other. Their yearning and anguish are palpable as they desperately grasp at straws to find a way to make it work.  But over and over, they are faced with the reality that they can’t.  I’ll admit, I teared up once or twice.  The sex is really good too.  Lots of build in the tension and steamy payoff.

I thought the characters were really well drawn.  I loved that Savi was so different from the standard cookie cutter heroine.  Not just because she was Indian, though the cultural elements of her story were interesting… but that she was admittedly a bit promiscuous in her past; that she was kind of a video game geek; that she was wealthy and successful and independent, but that she was willing to enter into an arranged marriage to please her grandmother.  Reading about her was a great change of pace.  Meanwhile, Colin is a bit over the top at times with all of his vanity nonsense, but that made it all the more enjoyable to finally see him brought to his knees by love.  Really good stuff.

There is more going on. A demon impersonating Colin. A push to bring vampires into the Guardian fold.  The action is good and ties into the series arc.  But the romance is what sold me on this book.  There is no clear indication of who the next couple will be, but I will definitely be reading to find out.  I’m glad I stuck with this series.

Rating: B+