redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Requiem For the Dead

Requiem For The Dead (Dreg City, #5) - Kelly Meding

It’s been awhile since the last Dreg City release, but this one brought me right back into the world and made me feel like I never left.  With this book, Kelly Meding takes the series from traditional to self-published, and I assure you that you cannot tell the difference. At all.  I reread Wrong Side of Dead immediately before I began this one, and tone and quality were completely the same.  It’s dark and action packed, with rich characters and equal parts heartbreak and hope.

As the story begins, it’s been 5 weeks since the events of the last book and Evy is dealing with the aftermath.  Phin is still gone. Wyatt is trying to come to grips with being a werewolf and he’s searching for the missing pups who were raised by Thackery. The vampires are fighting that terrible infection and they have pulled out of the Watchtower, reducing the ranks by a third.  And the Goblins are stepping up their attacks on the city.

All of those issues play into the development of the story, but the main conflict is a new one.  There’s about to be a change in leadership for the Felia shifters.  At first, Marcus’ grandfather is in charge. When he finds out he has (the shifter equivalent of) cancer, he names his successor.  But the tiger shifters aren’t happy and plot to grab the power for themselves.  There’s a fair way to make a challenge, but that’s not the way they want to go.  They’re doing it down and dirty, which ends up putting Evy and her friends right in the middle of it all.

One of the hallmarks of the series is how the main character is put through the wringer.  This book is no exception, though the days of purely physical torture are behind her.  Don’t get me wrong, she faces serious danger and takes some licks, but there’s more emphasis on her emotional turmoil, internal conflicts, and loss.  I was completely engrossed in watching it unfold.  I didn’t agree with every decision she made –and at least one made me want to shake some sense into her– but it was all in keeping with her character and her need to fix everything.

I loved seeing Evy and Wyatt trying to make a go of this… and that we didn’t miss much of their relationship development between books.  Wyatt is growing into this werewolf thing and I kind of like it.  I also really liked the secondary romance that developed between Milo and Marcus.  (I so saw this coming!!) Meding has me so invested in these characters!! I just wish she would stop killing people I have grown to care for.

There is advancement on all of the outstanding conflicts, but the story is not over yet. That’s right, the story ends on a big fat cliffhanger. But look on the bright side… that guarantees another book, right?  RIGHT???

Rating: B+