redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Dragon Warrior (Midnight Bay Trilogy) - Janet Chapman I try to make it a point never to jump into the middle of an existing series, but I didn't realize that's what I was doing when I started this book. Our hero, William, is a 9th century Irishman who was once trapped in the body of a dragon. It seems he came forward in time to find a man named Kenzie, who used to be a panther, but somehow could had the power to make William a man again. I say "it seems" because this all happened in Moonlight Warrior, a book I haven't read... and one that clearly set up the events in this story.

Anyway, William has it bad for Maddy, a nurse at a retirement home. She is leery of love because of her failed first marriage. But William is determined. He makes allies of the men and women in the nursing home. And it doesn't hurt that his buddy Kenzie is married to Maddy's best friend. Maddy's reticence is not the only obstacle our couple is facing. There are also evil forces... showing up as killer wolves out to get them. I never did understand what/who the wolves were, other than that they were evil. But maybe that was something explained in the first book too. (It's a fine line an author has to walk, to bring new readers up to speed but spare redundancy for those who missed earlier installments.)

The love story was actually quite good. And the sex scenes were very hot. Unlike many PR books, our heroine is no trembling virgin. She's a grown woman with a child and a romantic history of her own. It made her very relatable. And William.. Yeow. Chapman paints quite a sexy mental picture!

The bottom line: I really liked this book. But I have no doubt I would have liked it better of I had read Moonlight Warrior first. I'll be sure to do that before the final book in the trilogy is released, because I do plan on reading Trace & Fiona's story. 4 stars.