redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Hart and Soul - Nica Berry This may be the worst book I have ever read. In my life. Jenner and Niann live in some sort of tribe. Niaan has been an outcast since birth, but Jenner has a special connection to him. The tribe's shaman realizes that Niann may be a "chosen one," a kind of a sexual healer and he hopes to use Niann's energies for his own gain. Once the tribe realizes what he is, they all use him. Jenner is probably the only person who loves Niann, and has to fight against everyone to set him free.

I knew this was a m-m going in, but there were so many things that disturbed me about this book. One was the fact that Niann is a teenaged virgin and all these horny old guys want to hump him. Then everyone in the whole tribe does hump him. Though Niann "gives his consent," he's often drugged or taken forcefully. The shaman Heyka, essentially rapes him over and over again, often when he's unconsious. There is some serious confusion about whether Niann sees himself as a man or a woman --and by the way, s/he ends up settling on the answer "both and neither." And this doesn't even touch all of the animal humping going on. The lines between people and deer having sex are blurred and gross... and... there are just no words, my friends. There are no words. 1 star.

*ARC Provided by NetGalley