redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Safe Harbor - Christine Feehan Christine Feehan’s Safe Harbor is the 5th book in her Drake Sisters series. This story focuses on beautiful Hannah. She is a widely famous supermodel, who is painfully shy and in love with Jonas, the town sheriff. Jonas grew up with the magical Drake family and has been featured in every one of the books. He’s always been seen as teasing and taunting Hannah. But here, we learn it is because he has always been in love with her. She has always appeared haughty and aloof, but it has just been a cover for her terrible shyness. Now, as she faces a frightening stalker and attack, Hannah and Jonas finally face their feelings.

PLOT SPOILERS:
The book opens with Jonas and his friend Jackson taking an incriminating video of some Russian gangsters in the middle of an execution. Jonas is shot and barely escapes with his life. He returns to Sea Haven. And as Hannah prepares to go to a high profile fashion show, Jonas finally decides to face his feelings. They sleep together, and she leaves on the fashion shoot. There she is attacked; her face and body sliced up; and it takes the healing powers of all the sisters as well as Ilya Prakenskii, a friend of Alexandr from Oceans of Fire, to keep her alive. Hannah survives, but her trauma interrupts her romance with Jonas and she questions whether she can get over what happened and move on with him.

WHAT WORKS:
The first time Hannah and Jonas are together is magic. We’ve been waiting a long time for these two to find their way to each other. It’s also great to see Ilya again. I’m glad his story wasn’t dropped. And I can’t wait to see what happens between him and Joley in the next book.

WHAT DIDN’T:
Jonas was a little over the top. I know that’s his character, but he seemed even more so in this book than in the previous ones. And if possible, Hannah seemed even weaker.

OVERALL:
It was good, not great. But no one will (or should) skip this one after investing in the first several books of the series. 4 stars.