redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Turbulent Sea - Christine Feehan Christine Feehan’s Turbulent Sea is book 6 in the Drake Sisters series. I have to admit, I have been looking forward to this story above all the others. Not for the heroine, Joley, but for Ilya Prakenskii, the mysterious Russian we met in Oceans of Fire and who saved Hannah’s life in Safe Harbor.

PLOT SPOILERS: Joley is a rock star out on tour. She’s been getting threats for ages from stalkers and over-zealous fans, but now she’s facing real danger. A teenage girl disappeared at an after-party for Joley’s band. And shortly after that, the roadie who was last seen with girl, was killed. Ilya shows up to be her bodyguard. And boy, does he ever take care of her body! You can cut the sexual tension between these two with a knife. There is all kinds of drama with the relationships involving band members… plus a dash of Russian mob intrigue… but the real draw here is the relationship between the main characters.

WHAT WORKS:
See sexual tension above. And hot sex scenes. Feehan delivers the goods here.

WHAT DIDN’T:
I didn’t care much about the secondary characters: Brian and Nikitin, the band-guy with the new baby and estranged wife. Plus –I didn’t really get Joley’s revulsion at her own needs/desires in her lover. She likes a manly man, who is in control but still respects her. Yet, she acts like she is a freako-deviant because of it. It’s not that weird, Joley.

OVERALL:
I really liked it. Although, it’s likely because I really like Ilya. More Prakenskii’s please! 4 1/2 stars.