redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

The Seduction of Scandal (Scandals and Seductions, #5) - Cathy Maxwell Lady Corrine is being forced into a marriage she doesn't want. While many other women consider Lord Freddie to be a catch, she sees his true colors. But her parents won't let her cry off, even after she finds him in bed with her maid. So she does the only thing she can do: she runs away.

During her escape, she stumbles into the path of the notorious Thorn. He's something of a Robin Hood, stealing from the wealthy and greedy Lord Sherwin to help the common people. He has a reputation as a dangerous man, but Corrine quickly figures out his true nature. Thorn agrees to hide her until she outlasts her engagement, because he realizes that she puts his true identity at risk.

All of this is pretty engaging, especially since we know that Thorn's alter ego has been nursing a crush on Corrine for years. But Corrine goes from tolerating him, to respecting him, to being in love with him in the space of about five seconds. In fact, when she declared her love for him, I actually flipped back in the book, sure I had missed something. It was that abrupt.

I liked the premise. The writing was smooth and the dialogue was engaging, but I was perplexed by the progression of the relationship. The speed, of course, but then also Thorn's continued reticence, even after it was clear Corrine returned his feelings. I was satisfied well enough by the ending, but I felt like what was supposed to be a big surprise... was actually kind of predictable.

This book didn't entirely live up to its promise. But there were parts I enjoyed, like Corrine's spirit and Thorn true vein of heroism. A little more than 3 stars.

*ARC Provided by NetGalley