redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Queenie's Brigade - Heather Massey The fight for Earth isn't going very well for humanity. Captain Michael Drake leads one of the last starships still battling the alien race trying to take over the planet. But the aliens are winning. Just before they completely destroy his ship, his crew manages a space jump... which lands them near a remote penal colony.

The colony is run by Queenie, a tough yet seductive woman, who takes Drake and his crew as prisoners. She wants to use his ship to get her people off the long-abandoned planet. But they'll all need to work together to repair the ship enough to make it ready for flight. Drake holds out hope he can convince her to join his cause to defend Earth, but she wants no part of his plans. So he is in a race against time to change her mind before the aliens find them next.

There's a definite attraction between Drake and Queenie, but there's very little romance to speak of. We do get one short love scene, but it's not until the very end. The bulk of the story is about the battle of wills between Drake and Queenie. She is a difficult character to like. I understand that her life has forced her to be a hard person, but she was very hard for me to empathize with. Drake was pretty likable though. Overall, it was a quick, easy sci-fi read, with a dash of smexin'. 3 stars.

*Book provided by author for review