redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Unholy Magic - Stacia Kane I guess it says alot about this book that it has inspired such a tangled mess of emotions in me. I'm angry at Chess. I feel sorry for her. I feel like she deserves her misery, but I want it to all work out. Her self-destructive behavior doesn't just affect her, but the fallout is landing on those around her. --And I'm getting ahead of myself.

Three months have passed since the events of Unholy Ghosts. Chess is still a raging drug addict. She is still sleeping with Lex. And she is still forging a friendship with Terrible. Only she can't see that it's really something more.

Her latest job for the church is to try and debunk the supposed haunting of a famous actor's home. Meanwhile, her latest mission on the street is to figure out who is using a ghost to help them kill off Downside's prostitutes and gouge their eyes out. Once again, I am amazed to find Chess surviving it all, considering her incredibly bad choices and divided loyalties.

But obviously, I am not feeling too charitable towards her right now. I guess that's because Terrible has stolen a piece of my heart. The man is far, far too good for her. She proves it over and over. And yet, I want them to work things out so badly, it's like an anvil on my chest. ((**sigh**))

I guess you can say I have grown invested in the series. It's still kind of strange. But I'm getting used to it. Stacia Kane has created a world like no other I've read about. And her characters, while flawed, are very compelling. A powerful and unexpected ending that has me itching to find out what happens next. 4 1/2 stars.