redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Third Grave Dead Ahead  - Darynda Jones Just when I thought this series couldn't get any better, a new Charley Davidson book comes along and shows me just how very, very wrong I was. This story was absolutely amazing, taking me on a thrill ride from the very first page until the very last. Now that the book is over, I'm left stunned, satisfied, a little shaken-up, and mostly desperate... for the next book to come out.

As the story begins, Charley is fighting to stay awake. That's because every time she closes her eyes, Reyes is there. He is as hot and sexy as ever, but he is also pissed as hell, since Charley bound him to his corporeal body. Now he can only come to her when she sleeps, and his body is stuck in prison. But we'll get back to Reyes in just a minute.

Despite her lack of sleep, Charley is keeping busy. She is working a PI case, searching for a missing woman. But she is a multi-tasker and there is plenty more on her plate. From the mysterious Mistress Marigold to the bikers who have taken over the asylum where Rocket lives. From more problems with her Dad (who I'm liking less and less) to constant surveillance by Garrett Swopes. And if all that weren't enough, Reyes ends up breaking out of jail, sending her on the hunt for the man he was convicted of killing --a disgusting S.O.B. who is very much alive.

If that sounds like alot, that's because it is. But Darynda Jones weaves it all together into this seamless masterpiece of action, suspense, humor and heart. The book is funny. It's really funny. Charley's snark and wit made me laugh out loud over and over again. But the dynamic between Charley and Reyes is what makes the book sing for me. I love him. And I love how he loves her, despite an extremely boneheaded plan that ended up hurting Charley terribly.

As for the ending... I'm not going to say much, but there is a great twist... and big betrayal. I'm just blown away by the whole book. And I can't wait to see where the Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet takes us. 5 stars.

*ARC Provided by St Martin's Press