redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Mask of the Gladiator - Georgie Lee I've been a sucker for sexy gladiators since the first time I laid my eyes on Andy Whitfield in his Spartacus loincloth. So I had high hopes for this story. Unfortunately, it didn't quite live up to its potential.

The story surrounds the widowed lady Livia. In a moment of abandon, she does the nasty with a sexy gladiator. She has no idea that he is the man her uncle is about to force her to marry. Titus is actually a senator, who went undercover as a gladiator as part of his plan to overthrow a dangerous ruler. The rest of the novella follows their unexpected relationship and the unseating of the emperor.

The story is very short... about 50 pages or so. And I just couldn't feel much for the characters. The sex was just ok; the speed of their falling in love was extremely unrealistic; and the political elements just didn't excite me. The novella wasn't bad, but it was superficial. Not great for me. A little less than 3 stars.

*ARC Provided by NetGalley