redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

The Last Night - Nico Rosso This is one of those books that sounded great in the blurb. But when I sat down to read it, I had to force myself to finish.

Basically, it's a new take on zombies (which I love.) After a cataclysmic earth event, some microbe or whatnot was uncovered, infecting most of the population. They grew a stone-like skin and hungered for the ashy remains of burned human flesh. In the meantime, earthquakes are plaguing the landscape, tearing down the remains of civilization.

Erica is hiding out with a small band of survivors. They are under attack by the zombies dubbed "ashers" when Jake sweeps in on his motorcycle. He begins killing the ashers --an amazing feat since no weapon has ever affected them before. He offers to share his knowledge on how to kill the zombies in exchange for supplies from Erica's people. In a nutshell, Erica and Jake hook up, and then take off together in search of greener pastures.

I like post-apocalyptic zombie stories; and love-among-the-ruins stories are generally great. But there are so many things I didn't like about this book. First of all, everything is extremely dramatic and over the top. Yes, it's the end of times, but that's where subtlety really works best. On top of that, the relationship at the core of the story is laughable. Basically, Jack and Erica want to hook up because each is the only attractive person the other has seen in months. They are naked in hours. Horizontal not long after that. And then filled with deep emotions, eliciting dialogue like:
"Where you are, I'll be there. Fuck paradise."

and
"Don't know what we would have called it before the destruction. Don't know if it had a name. But this, what I feel for you now, Erica. This is love."

It's been one freaking day!!! --And did I mention the full-body orgasm? What the hell is that?

There is essentially no character development. And I hated the ending. I don't know what else to say. 2 stars.

*ARC Provided by NetGalley