redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Warrior's Cross - Madeleine Urban I am such a fan of Madeleine Urban and Abigail Roux. They write m/m loving like nobody's business. This book's got heart; it's got action; it's got sex; and it's got a mysterious tortured hero in menacing package. (*purrs*)

For months now, Julian has been coming to the restaurant where Cameron is a waiter. Every Tuesday he is there, but beyond a few words, he has never spoken to him. Until now. Julian asks Cam to take a walk with him one night. And all of a sudden, Cam no longer has to admire him from afar. They fall into bed, kicking off a tumultuous relationship. Julian is a killer, though the particulars of it are unclear... and he wants to shield Cam from that part of his life. That means secrets, and occasionally, lies.

The book was very, very strong in the first half, as the two men fall in love. But it stuttered a little in the second half. Cameron is painted as needy and insecure, when he asks questions and has doubts that are completely reasonable. While I love Julian and all his sexy angst, he really puts Cam through the wringer. And it made me angry on Cam's behalf. (Plus, we needed a least one of those smokin-hot love scenes in the latter part of the book!)

It's not an easy road. I didn't get the answers to all of my questions. (Especially in the particulars surrounding Julian's job and who Blake really is.) There's also a time-jump at the end that I didn't love. But it was a good book. Not quite on par with the Ty & Zane, but I am excited for all the characters to come together in the next Cut & Run book. 4 stars.