redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Diva and the Frat Boy - Daisy Harris Nathaniel is not the kind of gay man who will ever pass as straight. He’s out and he’s proud, but it’s more than that. He doesn’t walk, he sashays. He wears lip gloss and half shirts. He is the stereotype of the over-the-top effeminate bottom, who bats his eyelashes and hangs a disco-ball in his bedroom. He is, essentially, the polar opposite of Greg.

As president of the gay frat on campus, Greg doesn’t hide his sexuality. But he is masculine and conservative. He plays sports and studies law. He’s never been bullied or teased for who he is. He fits in and has never thought much about it.

When Nat pledges to join Greg’s fraternity, Greg is wary about acting on his attraction to the younger man. Mostly, he worries about the imbalance of power in the relationship, as the frat considers whether to accept Nat among its ranks. But once they make their decision, Greg decides there is no longer a reason to hold back. And he makes his move.

Nat never dreams that Greg could want more from him than a quick sexual encounter. And the story focuses a lot on Nathaniel’s perception of himself, of Greg, and of what the two of them could be to each other. In many ways, the story is about the contrast between these two; whether these opposites can do more than just attract, but to find love long term.

I have to admit, I didn’t enjoy this installment quite as much as I did College Boys. I think it’s because there were times that Nathaniel made me uncomfortable. I suppose there is some irony in that, because so much of the story is about how he makes everyone else uncomfortable by simply being who he is. And as I got to know him better, I realized how much of it is a defense mechanism. There were times he felt a little like a caricature, but not all the time. There were some poignant moments too, especially when we got a glimpse into his real life when we visited his mother’s home. Something about those glasses made him seem so vulnerable…

It was interesting to see the stereotypes and prejudices that exist inside the gay community. As for the relationship, I liked it. The sex was hot and realistic. (I love that Greg carries lube in his pocket.) But the “Daddy” nickname didn’t float my boat. Still, a good story, and I will stick with series.

Rating: B-

*ARC provided by author for review