redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

The Asylum Interviews: Trixie (The Asylum Tales, #0.6) - Jocelynn Drake With this novella, Jocelynn Drake gives us a short slice of life for Gage Powell, the narrator and main character of her new Asylum series. Much like "Bronx," this story shows us the events that help set up the full length novel, Angel's Ink. The first novella showed us how Bronx entered Gage's life and came to work at his tattoo parlor. This one shows how Trixie does the same.

Let me backtrack a bit. Gage is a tattoo artist who creates magical tattoos for his clients. He was once a warlock in training, but he had to give up his magic to escape from the shady life that was waiting for him. I tell you this, but the background info plays very little into this story. It's basically about Gage's attempts to save an old girlfriend from the master vampire who is abusing her. Trixie is friends with his ex --and just like that, a connection is born. Despite the title, this book is not about Trixie - just the events that bring her into Gage's world.

I read this one after reading Angel's Ink (out of order... bad Jen.) But I liked seeing the origins of Gage's relationship with Trixie. I enjoyed revisiting this world. And I like Gage's voice. It's not all that often I read an Urban Fantasy in a male POV.

The story starts out strong, with a little romp in the closet and keeps good pacing throughout. It was fun and entertaining. It also works as a standalone.

Rating: B