redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Sacrifice the Wicked (Dark Mission, #4) - Karina Cooper If you still have a copy of All Things Wicked sitting on your bookshelf, heed my advice and reacquaint yourself with it before you pick up this book. I didn't and I wish I had. If you've never read a Dark Mission book before, I suggest you start with Blood of the Wicked. Otherwise, you'll have no idea what is going on here.

This book draws heavily on the events of the previous installment and while there is a little bit of recap, there is not much. So I spent a little too much time, straining my brain to remember who, for instance, Nadia Parrish was, and where the hero fit in to the Eve project. The book assumes a working knowledge of the world-building and of past events.

All that being said, I think this is my favorite book in the series. The romance was smoking hot. Phenomenal sexual tension and sweltering bedroom action. (*fans self*)

Simon Wells is an agent for the mission, but he is also a genetically engineered witch. He's been placed in the mission as a spy for another sector of the Order. There are, in fact, other witches who have been placed in similar positions. But their DNA is degenerating. And it's Simon's job to take them out cleanly, before they die an ugly death and expose the program.

Parker is the Mission's director and she takes her job seriously. She knows there is something amiss with Simon and Sector Three, but she has no idea how deep it goes. The fact that she is wildly attracted to Simon only makes matters worse.

When Parker's name appears on Simon's hit list, he decides enough is enough. He won't kill this loyal, amazing and dedicated woman, just because she is getting too close to the truth. So the two of them go on the run... trying to get one step ahead of Sector Three and the timebomb of Simon's faulty DNA that's ready to blow at any moment.

Parker is this amazingly put together woman, who maintains absolute control at all times. Except with Simon. There is a sinful dominating quality about him that simply makes her melt. (And me too!!) He reduces her to her most feminine and pliant... and he is so sexy and growly and... It's just really hot. She fights it and fights it, which makes it all the more satisfying when they finally get together. Rraw!

I'm not going to say too much more except to warn you that there is a big, wet, sticky cliffhanger. None of the other books ended this way, so when I got to the last page, I was unprepared for the story to end without resolution. Boo!!!! Clearly, I will be reading book 5 to see what the hell happens next.

Rating: B