redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Secret Unleashed - Sierra Dean

You know what?  For book after book, this series has become more and more about the messy love life its title character.  It has made me angry and frustrated –and, at times, eclipsed everything else going on in Secret’s life.  Well, that ends here.  Don’t get me wrong, there are still romantic entanglements. But I promise you, when you finish this book, romance will be the furthest thing from your mind.  Sierra Dean took a huge, shocking turn with this installment, and I was totally blown away.

As the story begins, Secret is in hiding. Her mother still wants to kill her and so does her vamp-nemesis Peyton.  She’s laying low until her comrades can neutralize the threat –or least that was the plan, until she joins Shane for a hunt with a less than subtle result.  Sure she is unable to keep a low profile, Sig decides to send Secret out of town. One of his progeny is missing and Secret’s bounty hunting skills can come in handy, all while she can get away from the mean streets of New York.  She takes Holden with her for back-up.

I really don’t want to spoil what happens after that.  Suffice it to say that shit rains down on her in epic fashion.  You think she took a hit in the last book? That was nothing.  This one reminded me a lot of one of Kelly Meding’s books with how the heroine is put through the wringer.  It just came out of nowhere and left me with my mouth hanging wide open.  It will do the same to you.

Aside from the events I will not spoil, I can tell you there are some pretty big developments in the overall story arc.  We finally learn Sig’s connection to Secret and why he has taken such a special interest in her all of these years.  We spend more time with Secret and Holden –and get more insight into his view of their pseudo-relationship. We learn more about Secret’s biological father and what happened to him.  There’s a big surprise about Tyler. Plus –for those who have read A Low Down Dirty Shane– we get cameos from Shane and Siobhan, which is cool to see.  And there is very little focus on the love-triangle-slash-rectangle or whatever.

All around, this book was completely enthralling. It moved fast. It made me care. It kicked my ass.  Just… wow.

Rating: B+

*ARC provided by author for review