redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Rise of the Gryphon - Sherrilyn Kenyon, Dianna Love This is such a good book; an awesome urban fantasy. It’s complex and action packed; it’s got great world building, well developed characters, and a fast moving plot. I did not want to put it down. Now that it’s over, I can’t wait until the next book is out, so I can get back on the ride. For those of you unfamiliar with the series, it’s nothing like what you’re used to from Sherrilyn Kenyon. It’s not a romance (though there is a romance in the story.) It’s 100% UF. And this book, by the way, is not the place to start. Go back to Blood Trinity and start there. (Do it now!)

For those of you already familiar with the books, this one picks up right on the heels of The Curse. Evalle is still hunting for Tristan and the other Alterants and she only has an extension of a few more days to deliver them to the goddess Macha. Not only is Evalle’s future on the line, but so is the future of her entire race! It’s an almost impossible task, and Macha seems to have no sympathy. In fact, she makes it even harder for Evalle with all the restrictions she gives her.

Evalle and Storm get a line on the Alterants and the witch linked to Tristan’s disappearance, and end up in the middle of a Beast Fighting competition. They must pose as sponsor and slave to get in and acquire the information they are looking for. Bottom line: the next level of the competition has all the Alterants coming to compete. The Medb are promising the winners a chance at immortality — a prize none will be able to resist. Evalle’s mission gets complicated by a ton of issues. Like the Beladors being forbidden to go to the fight. Like Storm’s insistence on fighting. Like an evil bone that makes Evalle lose control of her emotions. (Just go with me here.) It all accumulates as a giant weight Evalle must carry on top of everything else.

My big complaint with the last book was that not much seemed to happen to advance the overall arc. That’s because they saved it all up for this one. SO MUCH happens. With Storm. With his relationship with Evalle. With her backstory. With the Alterants, their history and evolution. With the Medb, Kazira, and her parents. With Brina. With EVERYTHING. There are shocking developments and a whopper of an ending… and I may have exclaimed aloud more than once.

Like I have said of this series in the past, it is complicated and you do have to pay attention. But for me, the payoff is more than worth it. I am so invested in Evalle; in her miserable past, her loyalty, her fortitude, and (*swoon*) her growing love story with Storm. I love these two together and I am so excited to see them moving out of the holding pattern they had for so long!!

I am going to stop gushing because I can already feel myself rambling. Bottom line: I really kind of loved it.

Rating: A-