redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

Keeping Secret - Sierra Dean I hate Lucas.

I hate him with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. With every book in this series, my loathing for him grows. And with every allowance Secret gives him, I want to douse her in cold water.

As evidenced by the amazing cover, this is the wedding book. (Yes, I thought it came along fast, too.) In the last installment, Secret agreed to marry King Douchecanoe and she finally stopped fighting his sexual advances. Now, despite all of his machinations and manipulations, they are taking things to the next level.

Of course, nothing can go smoothly for Secret. Before they can move forward with the wedding, her uncle Callum calls the happy couple down to Louisiana so he can decide whether to approve the marriage. Once there, Secret gets to meet the pack that would have been hers, had her mother not turned into a raving psycho. She and Lucas must navigate werewolf politics while solidifying their relationship. All this, as someone is trying to kill her.

As deeply as I dislike Lucas and everything to do with him, I love everything else about these books. Secret is finding her place in both the vampire and werewolf hierarchy. Her power continues to grow, and the connections she is making are widening. It’s awesome how Sierra Dean continues to expand this world. We are meeting more new characters, but we never lose track of the old. It’s never confusing or overwhelming, just entertaining.

I love how Dean isn’t afraid to get down and dirty with the violence or the more disturbing side of the supernatural world. Outside of their soap opera love lives, the characters are smart, witty, engaging, and interesting. I care about them –and what happens to them. Which is why the romance angle is just so hard to take. What happens with Desmond makes me ill. And the ending made me gasp and groan at the same time.

I can only hope that Dean settles all this drama in a satisfactory way (for me!) by the end of the series. I am too invested to ever dream of quitting now.

Rating: I have given up on rating these books. I am too torn.