redhotbooks

Red Hot Books

A Low Down Dirty Shane - Sierra Dean I am a big fan of the Secret McQueen world, so when I found out about this spinoff series, I was pretty excited. This story focuses on the vampire hunter Shane Hewitt. Secret fans will likely remember him as the smart-alec vampire hunter that our favorite member of the Tribunal was training in Keeping Secret. This story falls shortly after that book –and references a few events there– but I don’t think a new reader would have even a little trouble jumping in here.

So, our buddy Shane is just minding his business, killing vamps one night, when he is accosted by a sexy Druid who is in the middle of a fight with a giant troll. He ends up joining the scuffle, and after their victory, the fiery Siobhan asks him for his help with another problem. It seems she is about to become a virgin sacrifice at the hands of her father. What’s the best way to avoid becoming a virgin sacrifice? you might ask. Well, duh, stop being a virgin. I wonder how Shane could help with that…

There’s more to the story, but this is a novella and I don’t want to spoil it all. I will say that I liked Shane more than I expected to. His character didn’t have a chance to be too developed in the Secret books, so it was great to get to know him better. I like Siobhan well enough, but I can’t grant her too many smart points, considering how long it took her to figure out that whole virgin thing we talked about.

The book definitely keeps the vibe of the original series. There’s plenty of action and gore, with moments of humor and heat to set it off. I am curious to see where Sierra Dean will take us next. I’ll definitely check it out.

P.S. Double bonus points: Lucas is nowhere to be seen in this book. #win